Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Me, Myself & Hannibal
    
With this overblown name which is a free interpretation of the title of the low-quality film Me, Myself & Irene (2000, USA) directed by the brothers Peter and Bobby Farrelly (the same who directed the much more successful There’s Something About Mary) starring by the not much to my liking Jim Carrey and the superb Renée Zellweger, we will group all the post that will deal with my research on the Barcid time. Although I am not completely free from the influence of madness nor am I exempt from funny manic and superstitious touches, my idea is not to tell you my funny fixations and superstitions, although if this blog is still active, I guess you will notice many of them, because I am not of those who try to hide them. Neither will I devote the entries of this section to Spiritist meetings in which I would write the results of my interviews with Hannibal Barca and the members of his well-known family since such powers are beyond my reach.

Actually, the idea of this section is that I (me) will speak about my research in an open and accessible language (myself) on the subject to which I devote more time and passion in my research, which we know as the Barcid period and of which, without any doubt, Hannibal was one of its main central characters. Of course, in each of the posts, you will find references and even links to the formal version of my work on which I will base them. The goal would be to divulge [1] my work, making it accessible and enjoyable for those who are not so familiar with methodological problems or with historiographic and terminological debates that researchers of ancient societies have to face.

Therefore, do not expect tedious classifications of pottery or boring genealogies, but a version adapted to all readers. Of course, History is not an exact science, and many times what I will tell you may not coincide (even could be just the opposite) to what other researchers propose. Although, as it could not be otherwise, personally I believe that my interpretive models are better, I do not pretend here to devalue other scientific interpretations. Truth in Antiquity, since we cannot resort to spiritualism or time travel, is not within our reach. However, there are things that we know with more or less certainty and are those that we can use to build our theoretical models. To ease my egotism, I will occasionally compare my conclusions with other interpretations of colleagues and friends, with special emphasis on differences and similarities.

Perhaps the most difficult task for me will be to write in layman’s terms and with a clear and concise language since, as you will probably have already noticed, I enjoy using (almost abusing) certain literary resources. I will try, however, that behind hyperboles, metaphors, and antithesis, you will find a text easy to follow and understand.

With these brief words, I formally inaugurate our trip. Stock up and arm yourself well to be prepared for many interesting challenges that chance will offer. I hope that during this expedition, it will be rewarding for you and me and that we can enjoy each of its stops.



[1] Precious word whose origin goes back to the Latin term divulge with a clear etymological connection with the sense of popularizing.


Archaeologist and Historian specialized in Barcid time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact